Creative Commons License
The Sub Way; Teach Fresh by Kelley Herman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Parent Teacher AND Student Conferences

It is a miracle I got through last week.  It was spring conference week, in my first teaching job.  I had shadowed conferences during my student teaching experience and led a few of them before but I knew that was not going to hold a candle to what I was about to experience for three days straight.  My anxieties?  Keeping my stamina up for 23 conferences.  Being able to speak to and answer all of the pertinent questions, having come into this classroom at the end of January.  Proving myself.  Making sure all the parents' worries were addressed.  Being able to assure them that their children are in good hands and that whatever areas of weakness exist, will be worked on further.  My list of anxieties were soon squashed when I remembered that the students would be sitting right next to me. They run the spring conferences in my district and assess their own learning and goals to present to their families.  Students came in with difference smiles that what I normally see at 7:55 am every day.  Some shook slightly, others' voices quivered.  It was then that I realized, they were more nervous than me!  This was a big deal to them; having to present their hard work to their parents.  Having to answer questions about why they did poorly on something or hear embarrassing enthusiasm at performing excellently on an assignment.  They were nervous too.  Their nerves weren't from my standpoint, but they were real.  My nerves came from meeting dozens of adults for the first time and explaining how personally I now know their children.  They came from hoping they understand how important their children's education is to me and how even if I'm new at this profession, I am giving it my all to make sure the school day is filled with more positives than negatives.  My nerves and my students' nerves were authentic and honest.  The end result?  Twenty three amazing conferences.  Some more stressful than others, some with more concerns than others, but all were equally rewarding, for me and the students.  I am glad that I got to sit next to the people who work so hard with me every day and present OUR learning.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I've never heard of students running their own conferences! What a great idea/teachable moment... I think holding students accountable for their own academics and spring conferences is a brilliant idea. Do you see a difference in the way students behave/perform academically the first part of the year (when they don't have to run their conference) vs. the next part where they know they will be responsible for their conference? What a wonderful experience, and what a feeling of accomplishment these students must feel afterward (and you!). I hope other school districts pick up on this... especially for higher grades... I don't think it would be appropriate for k-2 graders... maybe a little in 3rd grade... but def 4 & up. So glad you survived conferences and I hope you're very PROUD of all your, and your students' hard work :)

    ReplyDelete