Creative Commons License
The Sub Way; Teach Fresh by Kelley Herman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Tricks of the Trade

I have successfully completed my first week as a fourth grade teacher (even though that week included one snow day and two delays) and I feel very accomplished.  I was able to pick up on the majority of the class routines and schedules and get some really great lessons underway.  I learned something very important as I began my journey this week and that is the fact that I can add something new to my list of credentials.  I want to officially call myself a progressional multi-tasker.  I knew going into this profession that multitasking is an extremely useful skill to possess.  I knew that I would be balancing the focus and well being of 23 little minds all while maintaining classroom control, organization, discipline, and planning for the 8 other schedule blocks in a day.  But planning for this concept and actually putting it into use are two completely different animals.  The intensity of multitasking that teachers and educators do on a regular basis is incredible.  I find it to be the most challenging but important part of the day.  Your mind needs to constantly be working in thirty different directions in order to get one thing accomplished to goal.  Students have lessons, tutoring, meetings, and assessments that they are constantly being pulled out for and you need to be prepared to catch them up to speed.  Remembering where Eric sat yesterday in his independent reading spot but also that the occupational therapist needs an example of student work for her PPT next Tuesday and that students won't be finishing their rough drafts in writing because they will be taking a reading assessment on Thursday but students who need to make that up can't on Friday because you have a consult with the special education teachers then.  It is enough to make your entire body overheat.  I think what sets teachers apart from any other type of person in this scenario is that we signed up for this job and we are willing and happy to fulfill it.  I know that some days I am going to want to pull my hair out and/or forget to do half the things on my mental to do list.  I know that it is a challenging job, but one that I am excited to give my all to carry out.  Any multi-tasking tips are greatly appreciated from my fellow educators or superhuman non-educators!

I know that one thing I am so lucky to have on my new journey is love and support.  I have it from both family and friends.  I was brought a delivery from the school secretary last week that warmed my heart and soul.  It was a bouquet of beautiful flowers sent to me by the teachers I was working with at my previous job.  They were wishing me luck on my newest endeavor and it spoke to how lucky I am to have such positive love and support.





1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your honesty in your post. It is unbelievable how much teachers are responsible for and how hectic a day in our lives can be. I don't think that the majority of people outside of the field of education realize all that we do! I hope that you feel at home in your new position and have a great year! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete